Lunes, Hunyo 13, 2011

Smoke-free Starbucks

          I chanced upon the Starbucks page (here) in Facebook.  I was on the verge of liking it but I reconsidered clicking so (a sudden realization that I do not frequent the place contributed to my snappy second thought).  Apparently, there is a clamor of comments and posts regarding Starbuck's rather interesting move to avoid smoking within its premises (despite the traditional designated areas it used to observe).

          I am not here to rant about it or to promote otherwise.  I am not rattled.  I am just intrigued with the degree of delight coming from non-smokers, as evidenced in the said page.  Why do I suddenly feel that there is a question of taboo in smoking?  It is as if I am 17, and just got myself a tattoo and it is the early 90's?  Why do I feel like the non-smokers there are just being under the guise of protecting the general health but are in fact celebrating a self-righteous festivity?  Worse, a modern-day form of discrimination?  I may be wrong, but as a valid form of disclaimer - that's just a personal feeling.

          I cannot imagine fancying purchased coffee on a 'rented' ambiance to be without a stick or two.  More especially if there are allowed areas in carrying out the same.  It's like staying in a 5-star hotel with a curfew or going to Palawan without a digital camera.  My at-times sanctuary is now without walls.

          At least now, more deserving coffee shops will not stay long in the backwaters.

          Peace.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento